The Breast Surgery Department specialises in diagnosing and managing breast disorders, and where necessary breast surgery is conducted to remove cancerous tumours and lymph nodes.
The County Hospital offers four patient clinics every week allowing excellent access to the breast services. These are specialist breast clinics where full diagnostics, including ultrasound, mammograms and biopsies are performed.
Clinics are a ‘one stop’ service, with all tests carried out in one visit, wherever possible. Breast abscesses can usually be treated in these clinics on an outpatient basis. Clinics also provide advice on family history.
Outline of the Department
The Department has three dedicated Breast Surgeons.
- Miss Jill Donnelly
- Mr Kaustuv Das
- Mrs Vidya P Chandran
Breast surgeons are supported by the Breast Care Nurses, who provide a specialist service for patients following a diagnosis of breast cancer. Services provided include:
- Information on treatment options and post operative problems
- Support; one to one support for emotional and psychological issues, as well as practical problems
- Specialist advice for lymphoedema (mild and uncomplicated, related to breast cancer) and breast reconstruction, prosthetic fitting and assessments
The nurses are in attendance at breast clinics and are available in the Macmillan Renton Unit 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Links with other Departments
The department also has links with the following areas:
Breast Oncology Services
- Provided by Dr Jessica Scaife, Cheltenham. Clinics on Tuesday afternoons and Friday all day.
Secretaries: Janette Corrick and Donna Holmes
Telephone: 01432 364107 extension 5777/5751
Breast Reconstruction and Oncoplastic Surgery
Available at The CountyHospital via:
- Mrs Vidya P Chandran
- Mr Vikram Vijh, Plastic Surgery Consultant based at Queen Elizabeth Medical Centre, Birmingham.
Services provided locally include Mammoplasties, Implant reconstruction, Lattismus Dorsi Flap reconstruction, fat transfer (lipofilling) and symmetrisation reduction etc.
DIEP flap reconstruction is provided at the Queen Elizabeth Medical Centre, Birmingham.
Telephone: 01432 364024
- Provided by Dr Trevor Coles at the Clinical Genetics Unit, Birmingham Women's Hospital.
Telephone: 0121 607 4757
Lymphoedema Specialist Services
- Breast cancer patients with more complicated lymphoedema problems can be referred to the above service based in Bromyard and providing outreach clinics.
Contact: Jackie Jones or Jan Osbaldiston
Telephone: 01885 485715
Miss Jill Donnelly
(01432) 364028 - Secretary: Celia Pritchard
Mr Kaustuv Das
(01432) 355444 ext 4370 - Secretary: Leah Sprot
Mrs Vidya P Chandran
(01432) 364024 - Secretary: Tracey Buckley
Breast Care Nurses
(01432) 355444 ext 5770 - Jackie Jones, Di Emmet, Tracey Horne, Dot Bithell and Jan Osbaldiston